Hi! I'm Suryo!
I am a Ph.D. student at Penn State, working under the guidance of
Mahanth Gowda on machine learning
and sensing technologies.
I received my Master of Science degree in Computer Science from The University of Texas at Arlington.
I worked my MS thesis under the guidance of Dr. Manfred Huber on feature learning and preemptive estimation of performance for KNN classifiers and regressors.
Before joining UTA, I was first an undergraduate student, and then a Research Associate
at PESIT Bangalore South Campus (then affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, now PES University)
where I worked with Dr. Snehanshu Saha on a broad range of topics in machine learning and its applications to astronomy, finance, and scientometrics.
On a less academic note, I am a musician and enjoy playing the guitar! I also try to paint and do different kinds of artsy stuff from time to time.
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, UTA (January 2020 – present): I am currently a teaching assistant of the graduate course Data Analysis and Modeling Techniques (CSE-5301) for Dr. Ramakrishna Prasad Koganti.
- Peer Educator, IDEAS Center, UTA Faculty Affairs (August 2019 – December 2019): I tutored and mentored undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics, computer science, English and basic sciences, and mentored students with goal setting, time management, major exploration, etc. I was a designated tutor of an undergraduate course on linear algebra and differential equations (MATH-3319) under Dr. Gaik Ambartsoumian. I was also certified in the practice of question, pursuade and refer(QPR) for suicide prevention, and trained to accommodatethe needs of students from a wide spectrum of socioeconomic and sociocultural backgrounds.
- Research Associate, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, PESIT Bangalore South Campus (July 2017 – July 2018): I worked on problems in astroinformatics, and mathematical modeling in finance with Dr. Snehanshu Saha, and collaborated with Dr. Jayant Murthy and Dr. Margarita Safonova from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics, and Dr. Saibal Kar from the Center For Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta. I also mentored senior undergraduate students with curriculum-related presentation.
- Travel Grant Award(2022): Recieved a travel grant from IEEE S&P to attend IEEE Security & Privacy 2022 conference.
- Phi Kappa Phi Member (2019): Elected to Phi Kappa Phi (ΦKΦ), the oldest all-discipline honor society in the USA, for a superior scholarship. Elected students are in the top 10% of their class.
- Tau Beta Pi Member (2019): Elected to Tau Beta Pi (TBΠ; Texas Eta Chapter), the oldest national engineering honor society in the USA, based on distinguished scholarship and exemplary character. Elected students are in the top 20% of their class.
- Lone Star Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Scholarship (2018): Awarded by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington, eligible for in-state tuition rates (for Fall 2018 – Summer 2019).
- Best Outgoing Student Award (2017): Awarded by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, PESIT Bangalore South Campus for overall excellence and service to the institute (I'm not sure why they didn't call this award the 'Best Graduating Student Award' because that's what it is; a good friend of mine raised the concern that the title of this award may lead one to believe that I got the award for being 'outgoing' – just to be clear, no, I did not win an award for being outgoing).
- Winner of theme prize Best Use of Algolia Search API, HackUTA 2018, Major League Hackathon, ACM and Allstatei Insurance Company.
- Top 10 out of about 75 teams, inGenius Hackathon 2015, ACM India and PES Institute of Technology.
- Runner Up (2nd/87 teams), inGenius Hackathon 2014, ACM India and PES Institute of Technology.
- Reviewer for: IEEE Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC 2020), IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2019, 2020, Financial Innovation – Springer (2020)
- Committee member for International Conference on Modeling, Machine Learning and Astronomy (MMLA 2019),Bangalore, India
- Contributor to open source project: mlpack/ensmallen
- Actively involved in establishing the Astroinformatics Research Group (AstrIRG) in 2017–2018
- Volunteer for the first Drone Computing Symposium by IEEE Computer Society Bangalore Section (2017)
- Technical Advisor of PESITSouth IEEE Computer Society (CompSoc) Chapter (June 2017–May 2018)
- Secretary of PESITSouth ACM Student Chapter (June 2016–May 2017)
- Chief organizer of Machine Learning 101 workshop in PESIT Bangalore South Campus (April–May 2017)
- Part of organizing team of inGenius 2016 Hackathon (September 2016)
- Chief organizer of Python 101 workshop in PESIT-BSC (April–May 2016)
- Programming contest organizer in PESIT-BSC for the years 2014–2016
Preferred media of communication:
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: facebook.com/suryodayb
- Instagram: @suryodaybasak
- Twitter: @suryodaybasak
- ResearchGate: Suryoday_Basak
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/suryodaybasak/
- GitHub: github.com/SuryodayBasak
- Medium: medium.com/@suryodaybasak
- ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-1982-1787